Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Doctor, Doctor, Doctor

36 weeks and counting! I have been on a whirlwind tour of doctor's offices lately trying to get everything taken care of before the little one makes her appearance.

Last Friday we had Alastair's three year well check. I took Alastair to the park in the morning before the appointment because the weather was wonderful and I knew we would not have much time after the appointment for run around time. I noticed he kept holding his hands over his ears, which was odd because I wasn't singing (haha) and the radio was really low. As it turns out, he remembers vividly his trips to the pediatrician's from last spring when he had a few colds that turned into secondary infections. And boy, was he NOT having his ears looked at! Unfortunately for him, the office has a very nice and sturdy woman on staff that helped to hold him down to check them out. It was worse than the third float test for screaming, but I guess he wasn't concerned with flotation so he could put all his energy into it. I would not have pressed the issue were it not for the fact he had a cold over Labor day weekend and the possibility did exist that he had another ear infection. Poor kid. The doctor said there was no infection but that his ear looked "abnormal" so we get to go to an ENT. Correction: Daddy gets to go to the ENT, as I don't think I can handle that again so soon. This was the same doctor that made us do a totally unneccesary catscan on him when he was eight weeks old, so if it turns out this test was equally frivilous, we will be shopping for a new peditrician.

On the upside, everything else looks great! He is measuring in the 81% on height (38.75") and 89% on weight (36 pounds, 8 oz.). I just knew that kid was heavy!

Monday was Boudreaux's turn. That morning Boudreaux and Alastair were so excited to get to leave together for preschool. I hated to tell them both that they were not really going in together. Once Alastair was in class, Boudreaux and I went around the corner for his six year check up. You all will be happy to know that he showed no signs of intestinal parasites and his heartworm test came back clear. He has gained five pounds since the summer as a result of lack of exercise (it is too hot to walk for an hour outside!) which should rectify itself soon after I deliver and start wearing the tread off the stroller again. Super exciting information, right? But we have to keep all the kiddos healthy!

Today was my "big" appointment downtown with both ultrasound and OB visit. I really got the full package. It took forever as Kim will be happy to attest to between the pouring rain getting down there and all the delays in the waiting room. Everything looks good with the baby. She is measuring in the 75% at this point and they estimate her weight at 6 pounds, 11 ounces. Babies in the third trimester generally gain an ounce a day, so she could be as big as her brother was by d-day. Or the estimate could be totally off like so many estimates for this sort of thing often are. Either way, we're not stressing about it. One surprising finding? Hair! The ultrasound tech said that it looks like she has a lot of hair. I was a baldie for quite awhile and Alastair was a fuzz head well into his second year, so this could be interesting if I am required to style girl hair from the get go. It will probably all fall out in the first few weeks, so there is no rush to shop for hairbows. Which my girlfriends will probably have to remind me to put in anyway.

Some pics from the visit (sorry, no shots from the ped's or the vet's, lol):


This is a little hard to see if you aren't in the recent ultrasound crowd. Look for a little face on the upper left, looking right. I think she looks like Alastair as a baby.

How cute are baby toes? This kid has strong feet; I can attest to it. I've been saying she is a future Mia Hamm all along.


Good thing they did that 3D one, right? Here she looks a bit like a monkey. Which I'm sure is not really the case. I hope. And Dad, if I get a comment: "somebody get that baby a banana" I may lose your phone number. Fair warning.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Halloween pics! I think Alastair and Emery look alike - and both adorable!

    I am impressed with your blog updates...you are super-mom!

    ReplyDelete