Monday, February 27, 2012

Lagniappe

To the uninitiated, Lagniappe means "a little something extra."  It is a common term in Louisiana, usually associated with food, which makes sense considering the culinary other worldliness of the state.  This weekend itself was definitely lagniappe:  a little extra vacation, some extra food, some extra driving, and a lot of extra quality time.


Friday morning we headed out really early.  By lunch, we were in poboy country and we got to explain to Alastair that "yes, shrimp is in the sandwich."  He is now a believer.  After lunch in New Iberia, we headed across a small drawbridge to Avery Island, home of the Tabasco company.

Kim was quite happy when we got out of the car and smelled Tabasco wafting out of the plant.  The man eats Tabasco on anything that doesn't already have jalapenos, etc. in it.  Did you know that ChickFilA has packets of Tabasco upon request?  I learned this from Kim.



Both kids enjoyed seeing the bottles moving along the packaging line and the mini Tabasco museum at the end.  Emery has been doing a percussion unit at school and here she is playing the coopers like Bongos.

After I loaded up on pepper jellies and tried some Tabasco ice cream (which was actually amazing!) we headed further inland to visit the Jungle Gardens and Bird Sanctuary.


It seems hard to believe now, but when we first moved from Louisiana to Kansas I remember asking where the Spanish Moss was.  I couldn't believe it wasn't on any tree anywhere.  In Louisiana it grows on anything that stands still long enough.


The snowy egrets were back for their nesting season and were in full on nesting mode.  They were flying back and forth from their little "islands" carrying sticks and twigs.  I think I even saw one looking through a Pottery Barn catalog out there.


According to my parents, when my mom and dad brought my grandparents to Avery Island in the 80's, they couldn't walk without tripping over alligators.  Clearly, they visited on a lovely spring day when it wasn't 58 degrees.  The alligators were hiding, but I managed to catch this one the second time around.  Yes, I was determined not to leave without showing the kids a real wild alligator.  I am pretty sure this isn't just an alligator head on a stick that they use as a decoy on cold days.  I think there might be about four feet of alligator behind the head.

Saturday dawned early, as in 5:30 am, because apartment complexes are very bright and Alastair, waking to light, thought the sun was already up.   And once he was up, Emery was up, and Saturday was on.

We killed some time with breakfast and driving by the old house.  Then we headed to the French Quarter.


Things I didn't remember about the Quarter:
parking is tricky.
people are wandering around drinking at 10:30 a.m.
Mardi Gras apparently doesn't really end at Mardi Gras anymore.  We have the king cake to prove it.

I wonder if my memories don't mesh with reality mainly because I was a kid when I was there.  So if people had drinks, I thought they were just thirsty.  I do remember asking my dad why two men had their hands in each others' pockets one Mardi Gras.  His response?  "They're good friends."


We wandered around some, going to the French Market and then hitting Central Grocery for a muffaletta. My memory was dead on about how good that was.  We found a quiet spot in the garden of Jackson Square for lunch.

Things I puffy heart love about New Orleans:


 The architecture.  From wrought iron filigree and ornamentation, to spindly shotgun houses.  There is so much rich texture and detail everywhere it should be totally overwhelming.  Somehow it works.

Quiet scenes of beauty in the midst of the bustling city.


 Music everywhere.

 Watching the kids get down to Second Line, and watching some homeless man hop up to try to step with Emery, which she was not having.

 
 Stopping to see the street performers and enjoy the delight on both of their faces.

 
Sharing the first city I remember with my kids.

 Taking them on the St. Charles streetcar to cruise the Garden District.

 Did you know Emery is crazy about the "choo choo's?"  

Even with all the work to close out Kim's apartment on Sunday, it was a great trip.  And as the kids say every time he comes through the gate, including when he has just gone to get the mail, "Daddy's home!  Daddy's home!"  

Some parting shots:



 2, going on 5

 5, going on 15.



No comments:

Post a Comment