Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Problem Solved

In my last post, I referenced a problematic art element in Emery's room. Treating myself to one of those fabulous new wall decals, I found the perfect design on etsy, ordered, and sat back to wait for the fabulousness to arrive. After a few weeks with no decal, I filled out an etsy abuse form. Two days later, magically, my decal arrived. It was smaller than it was supposed to be and the birds that were supposed to be an aqua blue were royal blue, the exact color of painter's tape. The combination of painter's tape and that shade of green is a very bad thing and I contacted the vendor to make it right. Three times I tried to fix this until last week (over four months since this started) when I discovered he was no longer an etsy vendor. He no doubt was kicked off for less than stellar sales practices.

$55 wasted

What did I get for my money? A shiny (gag! the horror!) decal with birds I can't put up. Also, what artistic sense does it make that there is a random branch in the center of the wall? If it were the right size, it would have extended from the corner where two walls meet. That isn't a perfect solution, but it makes a bit more sense visually.

Last Friday, I looked at the wall, feeling the same disappointment and irritation I have felt every time I looked at it since the day I applied it. Enough! I scooted the crib out of the way and ripped it off the wall, piece by piece. Even with little bits of paint gone, I was still on the road to happy.

Before I got out my brushes, I made two promises to myself. One: it was going to be minimalist in style but also whimsical. Two: it was going to be done by Sunday. A quick trip to Hobby Lobby for some pink paint and a larger brush, and I was on my way.

Here's what I came up with:

I was pretty burnt out on cherry blossoms and they do seem a bit overdone at the moment. I settled on my favorite tree, a birch, a reoccurring theme in the rest of the house. With a bit of whimsy applied, it is a birch with pink leaves. I can live with that. When she is out of the crib, I can see a little reading/looking nook at the base of the tree. I think she'll like that.

A closer peek at the birds. A note about this color: it is impossible to photograph accurately, no matter how I change the white balance, window treatment, lighting, or flash. This is what those designers on Design Star were talking about when they were choosing color themes that played well on tv. This color would have lost someone the competition. In reality, it is a nice color, but you have to take my word for it.

What was Kim doing while I was up on a ladder painting pink birds?

It takes a man comfortable in his masculinity to wear a baby sling. In his defense, he was going to wear the Baby Bjorn but didn't want Em literally in the sink while he washed dishes.

The new treatment is far from perfect, but I like it and I think Emery will too.


The letters I Modge Podged for Em awhile back, which I don't think I ever put on the blog.

Emery's room: officially done.


2 comments:

  1. Stephanie ThalblumMarch 6, 2010 at 10:07 AM

    wow her room looks great!!!!!!!! I love it, you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feeling so inadequate in my craftiness compared to you and Audrey! I need to step up my game a bit!! The room is beautiful!
    Kristin B.

    ReplyDelete