Friday, February 28, 2014

The Big Oh-4

A month after Alastair's birthday, it is Emery's turn.  The month/birth order was entirely unintentional, of course, but it has really worked out in our house.  The oldest kid gets to celebrate his big day first, then the second, then the third.  I remember growing up that my big brother had a very hard time with his little sister getting her big day two weeks before his.  Not so in the Bowling house!

On Emery's birthday, we had the customary family party.


Emery's big present was a dollhouse, something she really loves, but that it seems Eleanor is even more attracted to.  Whenever I am getting Emery ready for the day, Nell is into that dollhouse, almost every time.

A lap full of hooligans.

There was a little drama.

I "invented" this awesome dessert one night last summer when I didn't want to go to the store or bake.  I named it s'mores pie and it is lovingly reviewed by every kid that has sampled its sugary wonder.  The ingredients:  graham cracker crust, chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, and magic shell (you had me at magic shell).  This is frozen solid then topped with marshmallows just before serving, then placed under the broiler, carefully monitored, then served once the marshmallows have reached a golden and puffy consistency.  Guess which step I forgot?  

Poor Emery.  This was after we stopped the crying and were trying to convince her that it would all be fine.  She was the one who had to say, "Um Mommy?  The pie is on fire!"  Oops.



A little plucking off the charred exterior, and all was right with the world again.



S'mores pie:  we strive for authenticity around here.  What is a s'more without a little ash?

We had a little party for Emery the next weekend as well.  She requested a bounce house and a TinkerBell party.  Done.


I'm getting rather good at cupcakes!


Technically, this was a fairy and gnomes party, since there were little boys in attendance as well.  Alastair was the only one who actually put on his beard and hat.  I went on a bit of a crafting rampage for this party.  Both girls got matching shirts, Emery got a tutu, all the boys had this getup, and all the girls went home with felt TinkerBell embroidered hair clips.  I think I need to schedule time for regular creativity in my life so I have less urge to go on a sewing and glue gun bender the week before these parties.


Emery had a blast with her little friends and they all were running around in matching fairy wings.  


I did do "easy" for food though.  There has to be a limit, right?  I haven't personally found one, but I keep looking.  And hoping!


Tinker-Nell.  I giggle every time I put her in this shirt.


What is Emery wishing for?  Her favorite things are candy, Daddy, screen time, stickers, nail polish, playing dress up, "cooking," crafting (particularly with scissors and glue, God help me), and playdates.  The girl has never met a stranger and goes to the park with a certainty that she will have made a new friend by the time we leave.  She brings stickers with her for these new friends, and by golly, she always ends up finding at least one.  


At four, she is still our sunshine.  


Most of the time.


I couldn't help myself.



This girl is too sweet for words and she thinks her big siblings are the greatest.  Emery loves to dress her up and Nell thinks that is pretty great.


As a take home craft, we made fairy terrariums, which actually ended up being mock terrariums since I was unable to locate living moss.  In retrospect, I think it worked out better this way.  I have enough supplies left over to make a gnome/fairy wonderland for our Easter decor.  

After the party and a short rest, we went to the preschool fall festival.  I retired my camera for most of the event and took a break.  Another of Emery's favorite things?  


Ponies, of course!  She has an imaginary pony named "Abby Gabba" who sometimes runs/flies alongside our car.

Alastair is a big fan as well.

Party #2: check.

No comments:

Post a Comment