Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Where did the year go?

Rounding out the Planet Bowling birthday trifecta was Eleanor's shindig in November.  We bumped up Nell's party a weekend or so before her actual birthday to avoid competing with Thanksgiving.  That is soon to be an annual tradition around here!

This was an unusual party for me because this was the first time I totally handed off anything creative prior to a party.  However, with three kids and a much bigger imagination than quantity of time, I found myself delighted to do just that.  And if you know me well about my creative projects, I don't like help of any variety with my work.  I like completing the entire process, although perhaps a little less on the cleanup.  Enter Yvette:  party guest extraordinaire.  I had this idea to have a cute chalkboard creating guests as they arrived but I needed to frost the cake.  

  
Done!  And so pretty, right?


She also took this mammoth pile of photos of Nell's first year and made them into this awesome banner with burlap in the entryway while I was out picking up balloons.  I can not find a better picture than this, but it was really awesome.  Trust me.  So thank you Yvette and to Bob, who I found vacuuming at one point and helped install a towel bar just before the party, not to mention who made most of these pictures possible by having a camera with a charged flash!



I made an actual cake this time and it did not turn out terribly.  In fact, it was well reviewed and entirely consumed at the party.  Although in this picture it appears rather dainty, it was two full 12" layers and rather hefty.


I went a little berserk with tulle...

Enough about decor.  Where is that baby?

There she is!


Hanging out with Uncle Stuart.

I'm not sure Cousin Elena was too thrilled to share her daddy.

Then the big moment!

Emery was delighted to show her little sis how this whole birthday thing is done.

The verdict?

Cake is good!

Yum.



   
Nell opened her presents in the morning once she had a chance to sleep off that cake.  She really loved ripping out the tissue paper and in the time honored tradition of one year olds everywhere, had to be cajoled to keep looking in the bag.



Officially one.  More cake for all!

The day after Thanksgiving was Nell's real birthday and it was nice timing to reflect on the many reasons we have to be grateful this year.  For one, I wasn't pregnant, which I'll admit was a little more personal reason than the rest.  Having a one year old in our house is totally our lagniappe:  a little something extra.  This little darling has both of her siblings wrapped around her tiny fingers and the rest of the family too.  She started walking at 11 months (two months earlier than her big siblings), greets the world with her six tooth smile (now 8), and is a quiet little watcher just like her big brother was.  Her favorite trick is to get into the pantry and start chomping on cheerios when we are distracted.  This girl has her father's temper when hungry and look out if you don't have a snack for her while you are cooking.  Kim and I weren't really sure we wanted a third child, we just knew we didn't not want one, but we can say with certainty there is nothing we should have wanted more.  This girl rocks.


There was thumb sucking silliness that night amid a construction project in process (post to come later).

Reader lagniappe:  I did a mini photo shoot that week with Nell as well.  Here are some of my favorites.





One.  So precious.




No comments:

Post a Comment