Saturday, November 7, 2009

Trick or Treat!

I am learning that it is going to take a lot longer than it used to complete simple little tasks, like updating the blog... Hopefully I'll get more on the ball in the weeks to come, but for now you get Halloween pictures slightly past their prime. Unlike the candy we all have stashed around after the holiday, fortunately, they don't expire.


This was the first year since Alastair arrived that we have carved a pumpkin. I figured that he was old enough to enjoy scooping out the innards and possibly could "poke" the pattern on the pumpkin so I could carve it. After looking through my pattern book, he selected just the right pattern. I think this kit will last about eight years and his selections will get progressively scarier in years to come... For this year, he selected a cat. Alastair was enthusiastic about using the spoon to clean the pumpkin but once he dug his little hands into that slippery goo, it was all over. Daddy was then in charge of cleaning.

I also overestimated his tracing skills a bit but came up with a fun solution: a "polka dot pumpkin." Alastair jabbed and poked his little pumpkin to his heart's content and was thrilled to see it glow later that night.


The cat pumpkin

The polka dot pumpkin


After nap time for the whole family, it was time to get ready for trick or treats and a small neighborhood party. Just as we were getting ready to set out, we ran into our friends from across the street. Alastair was thrilled to have his buddies with him and he and Mary Catherine walked down the street and up to the houses holding hands. We made it to the end of the street before Emery decided she was hungry so we headed home for dinner and a special movie.


Alastair the bat delighted to retrieve candy

Earlier in the week, I recorded "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" to share with Alastair and for a touch of nostalgia for Kim and I. Alastair told me he saw it when he was a baby and that he didn't like it; he really would rather watch Maisy (which is his favorite show on earth). We watched it anyway and now he has a new favorite! I'm already cringing and waiting for him to quote Lucy at some point, "Watch it, you stupid blockhead!" Hopefully NOT at preschool... Who knew the Peanuts gang was so edgy?

And finally, way too many pictures of the kids (wow, weird to use the plural!) in costume:


The bat showing off his wings



Our cheerful little pumpkin


Alastair is a little nervous holding Emery, but he's getting better



Awake!



1 comment:

  1. Polka-dot pumpkin! I am SO bringing that up to my Mom...

    ReplyDelete