Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Has it really been NINE years?

It seems really crazy that Kim and I have been married nine whole years. Man, have we had some FUN! I was very lucky to marry an adventurer, someone who listens to my craziest ideas and says, "sure, why not?" Our strengths compliment each other: he is the one always willing to make a leap and I am the one who makes sure to check out the landing first and to make sure we pack a parachute. At the moment, we are in suburban family mode, but I know our kids are lucky because when they are a bit older, they are going to get to do some neat things: a spirit of adventure is actually one of our family values. Waterskiing, sailing, skiing, rock climbing, hiking, mountaineering, kayaking, fishing, and camping for starters, and I figure most of that before they are 10. Heck, Alastair only has to check off another 2 off that list right now! We have really gotten to do a lot of great things in the last nine years. A few of my favorites:


Hiking! Some very beautiful hikes including a very memorable 12 hour hike up the AT on Saddleback...



Skiing, here at Saddleback in the winter. Kind of cool, considering I learned to ski here when I was three. Still miffed at Mom for selling my baby ski boots in a yard sale.


Going to camp every weekend. Some memorable drives in snow and ice! And of course the luxury of a winter cabin, sans running water, central heat, or a toilet. Especially when it was about 15 or 20 below when arriving... And we had a BLAST.

Bringing home our first baby.



Pismo, baby, PISMO. We logged hundreds of miles in the trails in Maine, but hey, it is way harder to get a shot like this in a mud bog or with trees and other life imperiling obstacles all around.


Kim and all his bikes, except the Boxer Cup Replica, which is NOT among my favorite memories. And the super retard motard.


Buying our first house and our fifth year wedding anniversary trip to England and Scotland. Oh, and the best Thanksgiving EVER watching ice skating and fireworks over Edinburgh Castle. And then...

Bringing home our first REAL baby. And getting ready to bring home another!

Thanks for keeping it fun, Kim.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't have done it without you (that whole parachute thing and all)! Thanks for putting up with me all these years. I love you.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know we shared a wedding anniversary month! Joe and I have been married 9 years this month as well. Congratulations on 9 years AND the baby girl. Seeing the pics of you and Kim on the slopes reminds me of our old skiing days. I think I STILL have the video in the car. Do you remember that? When you keep teasing me about Desperado?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I totally remember that video! The one with that guy (what was his name again?) pontificating on life and relationships while we were secretly taping him? Oh, the good old days. We really were dorks, weren't we? But we had some fun!

    ReplyDelete