Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Fastest Way to Dissassemble a Land Rover

The short version: Land Rovers, while conquering the Sahara and able to ford a stream five feet deep (if equipped with a snorkle), seem to have big issues on regular land. Three weeks after Kim brought home his dream car it started to make mysterious clunking noises. Which have gotten progressively worse. I will spare you all the theatrics, but Kim has taken the engine down just about as far as you can go without replacing the block itself. Of course this happens in stages, taking everything apart (12 hours), replacing a part or two (2 hours, which may involve welding up a tool, yeah Land Rover!) and then putting the whole kit and caboodle back together (another 10 hours). Rinse and repeat for well over a month now... The poor man is currently replacing a piston and hoping and praying that when it is all built again, the noise is gone and then so too will be the Disovery. Apparantly, this particular model offers expanded engine Discovery. Driving this is the fact that we have a brand new reliable car (Honda, anyone?) sitting in the driveway waiting to take its rightful place in the garage. Next to my car, which is also languising outside, poor thing.

If this does not work, I have a few suggestions about how to take apart a Land Rover in a hurry... I'm not sure where to buy explosives, but perhaps I can wrap a whole pack of sparklers together and put those up the tailpipe. Take that husband stealing POS! OK, so it Saturday night and I am bitter. You would be too.

On to happier things! Halloween pictures! Alastair was a dinosaur with purple spots and spikes. After roasting the poor kid in his polar fleece lion from last year, I bought him a light weight costume to trick or treat in. And trick or treat he did! It did not take him long at all to figure out the system. Ring doorbell, look cute, rake in the goods. Smart kid.

Does he look worried that I am about to steal his candy? Sheesh. I would at least wait until the kid is asleep!

Halloween was extra fun for Alastair because he was up past dark and got to play with "glow things."
I leave you all with this picture, because what is cuter than a dinosaur on a tricycle?

3 comments:

  1. Thannks to google reader I discovered the blog update :-) Have I mentioned my love for google reader? ;-) You didn't tell me you guys got a car! Honda - what kind? Good call - muy reliable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really hoping that you guys beat the odds and ended up with a problem free disco. Let's just hope that the lucky buyer of a lovely rebuilt disco does not read this blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are the cutest pictures of Alastair! And I love the Land Rover story.

    ReplyDelete