Before Summer, there was Spring. And it was loaded with sports and activities. We had soccer, baseball, Cub Scouts, two triathlons, a camping trip, and the start of swim team. Next Spring will be a study in minimalism.
Emery played soccer again and scored another goal. She is averaging one a season at this point.
She is becoming much more assertive with the game and loves it.

Her team from last season were back together again and boy are they a sweet crew: the Salt Lake "Sweeties" to be exact. They looked pretty fierce cute with their matching soccer bows.

There was a trophy of course.
Next up is baseball. Alastair decided that he was all about baseball until he realized he was too old for t-ball. This year was coach pitch and once he got over his initial shock (how were we to know he thought baseball and t-ball were the same thing?) he really got into it.
Pretty cute, right?
Alastair really enjoyed playing and has asked me to sign him up again this year. At the start, his baseball skills were virtually nonexistent and it was neat to watch him progress over the season.
There were plenty of Cub Scout activities in the Spring.

Kim and Alastair got to go camping on the USS Lexington in Galveston while the girls had a girl weekend at home. That means we watched a lot of Tinker Bell and painted our toenails.
From all accounts it was a really fun trip.
The Blue and Gold banquet at the end of the year is when the Cubs progress to the next level. For the event, the kids baked and decorated cakes for a bake sale. Alastair and I made this together. He did all the measuring and mixing, I was in charge of food color, and he did the piping and frosting. I was amazed by how quickly he picked it up.
At the Blue and Gold ceremony, he was promoted to Wolf Cub and he earned several badges, including his skiing belt loop and pin.
In May, we attended the annual Rowdy Rebels camping trip. This year, I managed to accidentally double book a camping trip the same weekend as a triathlon (only me). We did both, heading home after dinner on Saturday night to make the race Sunday morning.
It was such a fun trip, but I decided to fully taper/do nothing and just enjoyed the experience without the pressure of photographing every detail. Oh, and I forgot my big girl camera.
Once upon a time, I looked like this.
Then I did this. It happens. Somewhere, a small bald child might be wondering what color to call my hair. Is it red? Auburn? It isn't really blond or brown, so what do we call it? I feel you, kid.
Then there was Mother's Day. That's me up there with the bow. My favorite colors are not pink and purple, and she means tomatoes when she said potatoes (oddly she calls them the same thing despite knowing the difference). Ten points for getting my Starbucks order right though!
I love this kid.
Other random things:
We went to a fire station.
Poor Blue (of course my car has a name; why doesn't yours?) was in a collision. The super short version is that a man that I initially thought was drunk pulled out directly in front of me while I was happily driving through an intersection with a green light (me: left lane, him: not even in a turning lane) then drove off. I followed him and called the police. Much drama. It turns out that he has some sort of medical issue which looks a lot like Parkinson's and was not even aware he had been in a wreck. Many phone calls and a month later, and Blue is back to her old self again. Moral of the story: stick to the Sonic on the south side of the freeway.
Nell grew enough hair to have pigtails! They are seriously adorable although they don't last long. She lives to pull them out so I arrive at the store/school/church with a child wearing one single pigtail on the very last bit of her hair with the other side sticking straight out to the side. If you've read much Dr. Seuss, you should be familiar with the general look.
And that, loyal reader, was most of Spring.














No comments:
Post a Comment