This year Alastair is crazy about Toy Story: versions one, two, and three. He even talks about versions 5 through 10 although I keep telling him they don't exist. He has inherited my optimism. We decided to combine his two loves: jumping and Sheriff Woody. The jumping cowboy party was born.
We had a Toy Story Bounce House.
Then I let the cowboy aspect of Sheriff Woody and his posse take over. Kim vetoed the pony, which I think might have been a good idea with the thunder and even some lightening that threatened the party. But is vetoing a pony ever really a good idea? I don't think so either.
I thought a three legged race was just the ticket for a wholesome western style game. Alastair wasn't really that keen on being dragged away from playground or bounce house so we made him the judge. He perked right up getting to yell out the "ready, set, GO!" And he really enjoyed watching the melee unfold.
Woody put in an appearance on the cake. Disney made a killing on the gifts, but this is about the extent of what they made any money on at the party.
Alastair focused on his big moment.
Alastair is a cake man. He is also all about the chocolate, which is unusual because I detested all forms of chocolate as a kid. I have only recently gone through a chocolate cake renaissance, but still draw the line at chocolate milk and ice cream. I feel a little gaggy just thinking about it.
As I mentioned, the weather was seriously dodgy for Alastair's big party. There were huge thunderclouds rolling by and we even got thunder and lightening. What we didn't get, thankfully, was rain. It was humid like only Houston can dole out, but the temps were comfortable and it didn't start raining until the party was over and we were cleaning up. Even then, it was a gentle rain that Alastair and one little buddy found super fun to play in and slip around in the bounce house while it blew bubbles at them.
We probably should have taken the group shot before sugaring them up on cake and ice cream. Live and learn. We sent each kid home with a hat, a sheriff badge, some ranch brand tattoos, and some candy.
Things I learned from this experience: having an afternoon party in September is stressful. I was worried about the weather all week. In Houston, it seems like it rains almost every afternoon in September but we had no choice with Labor Day coming up and "meet the teacher" that morning. When it did rain, it was after the party ended and I was so grateful that Alastair had such a good time. So good, in fact, that I realize how few pictures I have of him. I learned that it is really tough to document your own party and that sugared up camera averse four year olds (well, three and 364 day olds) are fast.
Thankfully, my pal Audrey brought along her kit to earn some party camera time of her own. Very smart, Audrey! Here are her great captures. I am so grateful to have these.

Proof that I attended the party!
Emery is actually mad that the hat is off. This from the kid who will start grabbing at her hair at the mere mention of the word "bow."
In the cake zone. Oh, and someone remind me not to serve watermelon again, okay?
Emery just loves the boys. But isn't her shirt cute?
Emery just loves the boys. But isn't her shirt cute?
It was really a good party and worth all the build up. I got to create with Photoshop, Mathilde the wonder machine, my fancy new friend Silhouette Sally, freezer paper stencils, my credit card, and marshmallow fondant. All for the love of a little boy. Time well spent.
Oh man! Looks like it was a GREAT party! Sorry we missed....hopefully next year! You look great, Gen!
ReplyDelete