When tickets like these fall in your lap, you go to the game, even if your toddler has to stay up a little (ok, a lot!) late.
This is third row people, right behind the dugout. I looked down for a minute to get Lightening McQueen ("Lighten Na'queen") going for Alastair around the 7th inning, and a ball went right by my head. If I had been paying attention (I really was for the rest of the game!) I could have caught it. OK, truthfully, I could have tried to catch it and possibly tripped in the process and brought shame to our family. But I could have caught it.
Saturday and Sunday brought super fun dinner invitations with friends that could not be turned down. So Alastair got to stay up a few more nights in a row. He was only too happy to oblige.
And Sunday... I got together with some great old friends for a baby "sprinkle." These gals worked with me at Scientific Placement way back in the good old days, starting in 1998. For most of us, it was our first job right out of college and it was a mecca for young professionals in the high tech sector. This was the company that promoted me at 23 to move to New England, open an office, hire and staff it, and run the thing. The same company that I had to lay off three people and rescind an offer before getting laid off myself a few years later. Good times! It was kind of a Dickens thing though, and it really was the best and the worst of times. I am so lucky to have these girls still in my life.
My pal Niki is due any day now and this shower was originally for her. As we are all located in incredibly inconvenient locations for one another it was easier for the gang to declare a "two for the price of one" event to maximize attendance. This is the second child for both of us so a small lunch was perfectly fitting.
Niki and I had our first kids within about four months of each other. Ironic that our second kiddos will be spaced about the same.
Monday I got older. Paul, our neighbor, thought I was turning 27. I love Paul. Let's be respectful and not correct him, 'kay?
I love icing. A lot. And for some reason, I have been craving cookie cake lately. Kim figured he would kill two birds with one stone and get me a cookie cake, slathered with icing, and a bunch of flowers at the same time. I love my husband. This was too much icing even for me though. I have two big chunks in the freezer so that I don't send myself into a sugar induced coma.
My big present (not pictured) is a fancy new sewing machine that I am considering naming Mathilde. I have a hankering to name something Mathilde, and it just doesn't seem like a nice thing to do to a child. So perhaps the sewing machine will suffice. Yes, of course it needs a name.
I have had a perfectly functional (until recently) sewing machine for the last 8 years or so. It did a straight stitch, a zigzag stitch, and was rumored to do a buttonhole. Mathilde does everything. I think there is even a coffee making attachment. I admit I am a little intimidated! Today I finished my first project with her: sofa pillows with button backs. I have yet to work up the nerve to try out the embroidery attachment but that day is coming soon.
I found this fabric on the remnant table and bought all they had. I am officially in love with this fabric: luxurious linen and check out that graphic print! If this pillow were a man, I might leave Kim for him. But if it was a man, he would probably be a complete jerk or gay. Too pretty to be true, you know?
The back. Some hateful store clerk really hacked up the fabric when cutting it for the last customer, so I couldn't get four cuts out of the fabric. Luckily I had this silk waiting around for a purpose and it really is an uncanny match, no? The only thing better than one pillow? Two! Twins. Sigh.
Obviously, I am well into the nesting phase. I go to sleep every night and again around 2:30 a.m. redesigning and redecorating every room in our house. For a such a tiny person to live here requires a lot of reorganization. I have selected her bedding so now we just need to:
My big present (not pictured) is a fancy new sewing machine that I am considering naming Mathilde. I have a hankering to name something Mathilde, and it just doesn't seem like a nice thing to do to a child. So perhaps the sewing machine will suffice. Yes, of course it needs a name.
I have had a perfectly functional (until recently) sewing machine for the last 8 years or so. It did a straight stitch, a zigzag stitch, and was rumored to do a buttonhole. Mathilde does everything. I think there is even a coffee making attachment. I admit I am a little intimidated! Today I finished my first project with her: sofa pillows with button backs. I have yet to work up the nerve to try out the embroidery attachment but that day is coming soon.
Obviously, I am well into the nesting phase. I go to sleep every night and again around 2:30 a.m. redesigning and redecorating every room in our house. For a such a tiny person to live here requires a lot of reorganization. I have selected her bedding so now we just need to:
finalize paint color selection
change out playroom for baby room (you should see the list for this one!)
paint room
paint trim
paint corner cabinet built for me by Dad 20-something years ago, possibly with bird from Mom
name baby
buy letters, ModPodge, and cool paper
decoupage!
order fantastic wall decal from Etsy
embroider and create fantastic original baby apparal
change out playroom for baby room (you should see the list for this one!)
paint room
paint trim
paint corner cabinet built for me by Dad 20-something years ago, possibly with bird from Mom
name baby
buy letters, ModPodge, and cool paper
decoupage!
order fantastic wall decal from Etsy
embroider and create fantastic original baby apparal
I feel like I am forgetting something... I'm sure it will come to me at 3:13 a.m. while I am still trying to fall back to sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment