The weekend before last we had a solo visit from Granny and we decided to spend Saturday in Brenham and Independence. There are some oleander in our front yard destined for the trash heap and I am planning to replace them with antique hedge roses, available at the Antique Rose Emporium. I LOVE this place. It is a wonderland of flowers and roses right in the middle of the country and the scenery (and opportunities for bluebonnet photos) abounds. Alastair loves it because he gets to haul around a little red wagon. It was a little hard to convince him to slow down enough to put our purchases in the wagon and there was a bit of an intervention to prevent him from mowing down little old ladies. Seriously, at one point, there were people leaping off the path into flowers to avoid being run down. I was in hot pursuit at the time, of course...
Here is Alastair, happily pulling the wagon, oblivious to the vining roses trellising over these arbors. Lovely, isn't it? This is actually the more sparse side of the place, since he was trekking out to who knows where.
Just down the road from the Antique Rose Emporium is the site of Old Baylor Women's College. At this point, it is basically some bricks and perhaps a big chimney with signs indicating that this is where the college was. And I thought A&M was in the middle of nowhere... However, they do get a solid showing every spring.
On the way to get ice cream at Blue Bell, we came across an even better field. I was just about to get the greatest shot but I discovered that I was so careful that Alastair wasn't perched on a snake or up to his belly button in ants, that I neglected to note where I was standing. Sandals and fireants do not mix, people.
Since my last post, we also celebrated St. Patrick's Day. I recognize that I am far more British and Scotish than Irish, and those groups aren't exactly fans of one another, but I just love me some corned beef and cabbage! Proof that my husband really is crazy and will eat ANYTHING in a tortilla.
Love the bluebonnet pictures - they came out great!
ReplyDeleteWhat great pics in the bluebonnets!
ReplyDelete