Friday, February 22, 2008

Getting Out and About

We're still here in the Bowling house, despite all our outings and Alastair's best efforts to hobble us by sharing various diseases he picks up around town. Kim and I took a very long overdue Mommy and Daddy only trip to Lake Tahoe a few weeks ago to do some skiing. We arrived to find sunny warm California rather like Maine... With high winds that closed much of Heavenly Mountain on the first day, the temps were in the teens with several feet of snow falling all day long. However, this is another instance when packing for the possibilities (Kim says overpacking, but how little he knows) came in handy. Here I am, modeling my new ski coat and showing off my signature "I don't want frostbite" look. Yes, that is me. I promise.



The good part about the winds and temperatures is that many people who don't find skiing in Maine to be a pleasant experience just stayed home, so the lift lines were almost nonexistent. The first day we actually hiked uphill carrying our skis in order to access another lift. I can't remember the last time I was so physically exhausted at the end of the day. It felt great! The best part was sleeping without a baby monitor and getting to sleep in. The time difference was great for this since "sleeping in" for me means sleeping until 8 or 8:30am. That means that I was already up by 6:30am in California. Great!



Our hotel was right at the base of the gondola and in the middle of all that Lake Tahoe has to offer. Here we are on our patio taking a couples shot. The roof in the background is the gondola, so we just walked out the door and got right in line in the morning. I highly recommend this place!

While we were off skiing and gambling (I lost $5 to the slots over our stay), Alastair was at home trying to kill off his Granny with an unnamed plague. With a Granny and a Great Granny to watch him at all times, I think he missed all the attention when they left. He did talk to Kim and I on the phone at night and seemed rather more cuddly than usual when I returned. This was never more apparent than at the library the morning after I returned when he climbed into my pal Audrey's lap for some prolonged cuddle time. Apparently, he really missed her.

I'll close for now with a video of Alastair having fun in Daddy's car. The whole family (with the exception of Boudreaux) makes a cameo appearance.


No comments:

Post a Comment