After a crazy summer that ended without the fun "end of summer" stuff we normally do, both kids were so excited to get started with school. And this tired momma was plenty ready for a return to routine. Routine that didn't involve siblings torturing each other for entertainment. The soundtrack of my summer was the sound of shrieking/crying accompanied by giggling.

Alastair on his first day of kindergarten
Before school started, I was planning to walk Alastair in to his classroom for his first day. Over the weekend, he announced he really just wanted to ride the bus and didn't need me to come with him. "Oh, OK," I responded, at which point my astute boy asked, "why do you sound sad now, Mom?" Sunday night, he relented and told me I could go with him, but that he was definitely riding the bus from that point onward. Fine with me!
I figured I get one shot to have my kids pose in front of the school on their first day and I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity.
Alastair settled in nicely and immediately got to work coloring his "welcome to kindergarten" worksheet.
Seven weeks into school, he loves it. The best part of his day? "Riding the bus!" he tells me. I personally love all the artwork he brings home and seeing how much his writing and reading have already improved is nothing short of amazing. Alastair relishes his independence and perceived maturity as a big kid who goes to real school. By Thursday or Friday though, he's pretty worn out and his patience runs thin at the house for any interference, imagined or otherwise.
Two weeks after Alastair started school it was finally Emery's turn.
My turn!
Last year, both kids went to the same school. Alastair went to class three days a week to Emery's single day. Every time we walked in though, she asked, "Is it my turn now?" and on Thursdays I got to tell her yes. This year she goes for two days a week and is loving every minute. She calls all teachers "my Mimi" after Mrs. Amy from last year but is starting to mix in a little "Miss Jessie" and "Miss Laura" now which shows her maturity. Her favorite part of the day? Eating a packed lunch.
It's great to see the kids enjoying their respective programs so much and it sure makes grocery shopping easier!
No comments:
Post a Comment