I have become a blogging slacker. Or perhaps "a non-blogging slacker" would be more accurate. Kim asks me all the time when I'll get another post up. This from the man who has been doing more than his fair share of traveling lately. He probably wants an update just to see what we've been up to.
I had grand plans for a peaceful and leisurely advent season culminating in a cozy Christmas at home. We got the second part of that equation for sure, but our Advent was anything but sedate.
Emery had her party at preschool early in the month, the 8th of December. One of the best parts about having a girl is that she is so enthusiastic about wearing silly hats and going in for face painting whenever possible. She was the only kid to leave her antlers on for almost the whole party.
She loved every part of it: the Christmas story, pin the nose on the reindeer, and her special cupcake treat at snack time. This was the first party at school that we have navigated with food allergies and it was a little dicey intercepting the goodie bag full of treats when she arrived home, but it all worked out.
LOVE this shot. Remind you of anyone?
Later that day, my friend Tara (shout out!) and I hit the Mustang Kids Christmas party. Sure, we have no husbands at the moment but that is Mustang's fault so we went and had a great time in their place.
And guess who we ran into?
Santa!
Santa is another guy that Emery gets very excited about in concept but is a bit terrified of in person.
Santa was an awesome sport and kidded and laughed with Alastair, taking time to make him feel special and ask what he wanted for Christmas. Best. Santa. Ever.
I was delighted that Alastair decided to get his face painted. His class this year is the penguins, so he chose a penguin. Emery got a string of Christmas lights but refused to stand still long enough to be photographed. In fairness, this was the second party of the day and she had just been through a bit of an ordeal with Santa.
Mustang hired a ballet troupe from Galveston to come and dance a mini-Nutcracker. When the music started and the dancing began, Emery just sighed "ooooooooooooh." She was delighted with it all and I caught her raising her arms a few times while she watched. It was a perfect Nutcracker for two little kids: they danced the best parts and it lasted a total of 20 minutes. Perfect!
The craft was decorating a mug.
It was a Polar Express themed party so they got to listen to music from the movie, read the book, decorate cookies (baked by me), and drink hot chocolate.
Pardon the crazy demonic eyes.
Another week and we were at another Mustang party, this one for the adults only. There was no photographer this year (boo!) so I enlisted some new friends to document the occasion with my phone. It was a nice party with good food and an opportunity to catch up with some people that are on different projects this year.
By this time, school was almost out for Christmas break and I had a little trick up my sleeve. Throughout December, Alastair and I have played the "antler game" on the way to school in the morning and around town as we look for cars with antlers and count them up.
For early dismissal before break, Emery and I popped over to the party supply store and did this to the car. Kim couldn't believe it when I sent him a text photo. He was probably just too excited. One of the best memories I have of this Advent is watching Alastair's face as I pulled up in carpool line. First, he shook his head at the teachers "no, that's not my car," and then when he saw me waving at him, that huge grin that spread over his face. He jumped in, giggling and practically squealing with excitement. For $15, how could I not give my favorite man (in the 30 and under category) that thrill?
On the crafting front, I made an army of these little penguins (filled with an activity book and some candies) for his classmates. I know I stared at them for far too long as I assembled them, but I can no longer tell if they are fantastic or tragic. Emery's class got wrapped cans of Play-Doh. That girl is just wild about Play-Doh.
There were park days with friends, Christmas shows (those Baptists really know how to do it up right!), a baby shower, movie outings, and a 7 day bout with a terrible cold for poor Emery with two trips to the doctor and a case of swimmer's ear for Alastair too (swimmer's ear??? In December?)
But there was some of this too.
And Christmas, that wonderful, joyful, and most cozy of days in our house was just around the corner.






No comments:
Post a Comment