This summer's end was far from the snow cone and field trip filled week we had planned. The stomach bug unpleasantness kept us on house arrest instead, including missing both the first day of school and meet the teacher day for both kids.
Alastair's first day was the morning after his party. As evidence of my frazzled state, his annual first day picture was taken as we sat in the carpool line awaiting drop off. Don't worry, I put the car in park.
On Thursday, Little Miss finally got to go too.
Here she is, trying to get at the food she saw me put in her lunch box.
On her first day, she marched right into the classroom and started playing with zero hesitation. I got all of her stuff put away and then had to get right down on her level and say her name several times before she would look at me. I think she was afraid I was going to make her leave. Emery couldn't be bothered for a hug, so I went on my way with a high five. What an amazing feeling to walk out of that building knowing this child, who I was so convinced would have trouble when she started preschool, was playing happily right where she wanted to be. To date, the teachers tell me she hasn't cried at all. "She's so good we forget she's here sometimes," they tell me. The word "perfect" has even been used. I swear!
Although it took me an extra day or two (thanks for the temporary loan, Audrey) I made Emery her own nap pad to take to school. I made a few improvements since making Alastair's: it is a more manageable size than his and fits nicely in her bag.
This year we have two carpools going during pickup and I couldn't be happier. Emery gets to enjoy her day at school and is still getting to nap on the days she's home with me. Having a child who is old enough and big enough to be in a booster seat makes that possible.
This year Alastair is going to school three days to Emery's one. On Thursdays they overlap and I get a well appreciated break to run every errand that might prompt whining or just to enjoy a little time to myself.
With Alastair in school three days a week and several friends who have started kindergarten, this fall has marked the end of our Tuesday staple: playgroup. We have seen these people at least once a week since he was four months old when I was lucky enough to stumble onto a group of girls who were going through the same things I was. We have shared joys and sorrows as our kids grew from parallel playmates to true friends. These kids were Alastair's first friends and they have taught him how to relate to other kids, a lesson that he'll use for the rest of his childhood and life. We don't let things go easily though, so we'll be meeting for monthly playdates and the ever important moms night out. Seemingly overnight, our kids have grown from infants to 5 year olds, and all of our families have grown from 3 to at least 4, with a few 5's and even a 6 on the way. Wow. What a privilege.

No comments:
Post a Comment