Two weeks ago I was knee deep in about three projects at one time: finishing the sewing on Emery's nap pad for school, designing a present for one of Alastair's friends, and trying to pick up the game/craft/insane room. I was just about to download the photos from Alastair's party (he's five now!) and soccer (yep, that too!) when things locked up and I had to do a hard reboot.
And then this came up. Oh sad day. Turns out my hard drive was fried and we had to buy a new one. The good news is that in comparison to the cost of replacing this machine, it was actually pretty cheap. The other good news is that I got a little paranoid last year and finally committed to a backup plan for our system, one that runs automatically so it actually happens and doesn't join the endless ranks of "stuff I need to do." The bad news is that it is taking forever to get everything back to where it should be. Turns out I have a lot of pictures, enough even to surprise me. After a four day download, my iPhoto library is now happily back where it needs to be with the unhappy addition of well over 400 duplicates. Sigh. I'm fixing that problem but the bottom line is that I'm not downloading my camera until I am sure everything is fixed and that I won't lose anything more by having to reinstall from the last backup.
Let this be a public service announcement for offsite backup plans! I use Mozy and have been reasonably pleased with the service. If the house burns down or someone steals this desktop station and whatever expensive looking peripheral device is attached, I will have what is more important to me than any non-living thing: a glimpse into life with my babies these fleeting moments frozen in time.
In case you have been wondering if I will ever post again (I think no one really cares, but then I start getting harassing emails from people I didn't know even read the fluff I produce), it is coming. Birthday parties, first days, and a glance back at summer as it fades from memory. More than anyone really wants to hear! I promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment